Freedom of Expression

Before watching this documentary, I had not given much thought to how these artists of mashups could face issues with copyright laws. I found it very interesting how fine the line is when determining if it is illegal. At one point in the documentary, MaryBeth Peters, who is the Registrar of Copyrights,stated that it's hard to say if someone could face legal trouble, it depends on whose work they used and how mad it made that person. Overall this documentary was very interesting to me, and not something I have previously gave much thought on. I suppose I haven't gave much thought to it as mashups and remixes are very popular and have been for most of my life, we here it almost every song it seems like.  

A statement  from MaryBeth Peters, who is the Registrar of Copyrights, left me with some concerns on the limits of creativity. She states that you can’t argue your creativity when it is based on other peoples work. This statement is concerning because I feel as though the mashups people make are defiantly creative, even if it includes other people's work.

The most recent instance I could think of where someone in the media took their freedom of speech to far was Roseanne Barrs. Back in May she made a tweet about Valerie Jarrett, pictured below. I understand that everyone has the right to express what they feel, but this is an example of it being taken to far. I believe that this form of “freedom of speech” is unnecessary and pointless. When this happened, Roseanne faced a lot of criticism and lost her new show on ABC. I agree with the way this was handled due to the fact she used her media platform in a negative mannnor.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Week 9 Topic 2- Campus Radio

WikiLeaks