Blog project 2

The movie I selected for my blog project is Incredibles 2. This movie has received a lot of hype as the first one was released 2004, leaving a bunch of twenty-something year olds to wait 14 years for a sequel. Well finally the wait is over, and we can finally find out what powers Jack-Jack has.
Incredibles 2 was released on June 15, 2018. To shortly summarize the film, it's about how Mr. Incredible is left to care for the kids while Elastigirl is out saving the world. The family faces a series of battles, with the world and within their own family unit. The director of the film is Brad Bird. According to a biography on IMDb, Phillip Bradley "Brad" Bird is an American director, screenwriter, animator, producer and occasional voice actor, known for both animated and live-action films. Some films he is know for are The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, Ratatouille and Incredibles 2. A interesting fact about Brad bird is with The Incredibles (2004), he was the first person to receive a solo writing credit on a feature-length film from Pixar Animation Studios.  According to an article on NY times written by Brooks Barnes, “Incredibles 2” arrived to a jaw-dropping $180 million in ticket sales at North American theaters over the weekend”. It took 14 years for a sequel but many people, including myself are so glad it is finally here.
I think one of the aspects that makes this movie so important is the family roles present in the film. In this film, the mom, Elastigirl, is asked to come back to work, leaving the dad, Mr. Incredible, at home with the kids. This family dynamic reflects the cultural trend of breaking the roles of a breadwinner family.
Another important aspect of this film is when Elastigirl meets other super heros that were in hiding. One of the superheroes, named Voyd, says that she used to feel like she was an outcast but Elastigirl encouraged her to like herself. click here for link to video. I think this aspect of the film was so important as the target audience for this film is children under the age of 11. I think it encourages them to be okay with who they are and encourages them to look up to someone or something.
While watching this film, I did not notice any stereotypes. I actually think it does a nice job of shaking up the stereotypical roles. For example, the villain. I’ll try not to give any spoilers, but it is a women. I think this challenges the normal stereotype that the man is only capable of being the villian.  
I would say that this film lives up to the expectation of Birds work. I do believe this film will be remembered as the wait for the sequel was so long, and due to the strengths and weaknesses present in the film. One weakness of this film was the references to the real world. For example the article, Review: ‘Incredibles 2’ Is a Fast Blast (With Red Flags), posted on New York times, written by  Manohla Dargis, states that “Too often Mr. Bird seems to think that he needs to say something to the adults in the room”. While watching this movie I often picked up on the pattern too. From the references to the government and the politicians, seemed like a little bit much. On the other hand, there are many strengths to this film. As if stated before, the family aspect of this movie was very impactful. Another strength is how real and relatable the characters are. A review I found that supports this is from TIME entertainment named, How Incredibles 2 Shows What It Means to Be Human,
written by, Stephanie Zacharek. More specifically she states,  “he writes for cartoon characters as if they were human actors. Everything those characters do, every split-second decision they make–even a misguided one–feels lived in, not drawn in.” Over all I really enjoyed watching this film.
I could not find Bird on instagram, however there is a Incredibles Instagram page. The instagram page for The Incredibles is ran by disney and pixar. This account has 139K followers and uses the page to promote the movie. They post many videos, interviews, and other advertisements. Click here to check out Instagram  
The 14 year long wait is finally over, and almost all my friends were just as excited as I was. Although I was not a fan of the references to politicians and government, this movie did not disappoint. The overall family theme of the movie was what made it so memorable to me. I think it is important to showcase non traditional family roles in the media, because movies are so influential in our society. While researching this movie I found some really interesting videos and interviews. Below I have listed a view videos:


Over all this critique was very fun to do. I learned how many people seek and obtain a much deeper meaning out of movies than I realized.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

WikiLeaks

Week 9 Topic 2- Campus Radio