Week 8

TOPIC ONE: 
Some books that I have read that are on the list of banned and challenged books, compiled by the American Library Association, are The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer, and To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. The Hunger Games and Twilight are both books that I read on my own time, but I don't remember much about the actual books, since the movies have came out. I read To Kill A Mockingbird in class and really enjoyed it. The American Library Association American stated that it was challenged and banned because of violence and its use of the N-word. I understand that this book contains violence and predigest that can concern some parents or teachers, but I think it is an important part of our history.


Another book I have read that is on the 2017 top challenged list was, Thirteen Reasons Why written by Jay Asher. This book was published in 2007, but a Netflix series with the same name was released in March of 2017. This book has been banned in school districts and libraries based on the fact it talks about suicide. I first read the book when I was in eighth grade, so in 2011. My opinions of Thirteen Reasons Why, are strictly based on the book, not the series. I thought that this book was very impactful as it showed how the way you treat people can have a bigger impact than you think. I think it also shows how suicide impacts the lives of those around you, due to the fact the book takes you through the journey of Clays emotions. Click here for "Thirteen Reasons Why" website 


The idea of limiting access to various books and other materials in public schools or local libraries is concerning to me. A Social Studies Common Core Standard for Highschool students is “Analyze ideas critical to the understanding of history, including, but not limited to: populism, progressivism, isolationism, imperialism, communism, environmentalism, liberalism, fundamentalism, racism, ageism, classism, conservatism, cultural diversity, feminism, and sustainability.” Certain books, such as, To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, could enhance and assist students as they analyze ideas critical to the understanding of history. As I stated earlier, many school districts have banned this book because of its violence and use of N-word. I believe that banning this book, or others like it, is not reasonable because it can help students understand past events and analyze the history of our country.  
To be honest, I have not done much reading lately. The books I have read lately are for classes, so some books on my shelve are The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt, and What Night Brings by  Carla Trujillo. I guess someone who saw my reading list would think that I should probably put my phone down and pick up a book once and awhile. Aside from that, I think these books show my interest in family dynamics and coming of age stories.


TOPIC TWO:

Cosmopolitan, People, and Vogue are three different magazines I have read over the years. I don't regularly read any of these magazines, as i don't have subscriptions to any of them, they are mostly just things I have picked up at the airport, doctors office, or in someone else house. All these magazines show my interest in celeb stories, fashion, love, and careers. One thing I like about these magazines is that it provides a way for me to zone out and be entertained. For example, all these magazines have fashion sections, updating readers on what is in and what isn't. I am not super into fashion but I think it is interesting to see.
In these magazines, there are usually advertisements for various beauty products. For example, Cosmo has an article named, These Are the 21 Best Skin-Care Products You Can Buy Right Now. People and Vogue also have articles featuring the latest “must have” beauty products. As a consumer, these publications say that I am a young women interested in various topics such as, beauty products, pop culture, dating, career, and health and fitness
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Week 9 Topic 2- Campus Radio

WikiLeaks